Monday, April 6, 2009

Ephraim's Poem


My mother wrote this poem a couple of years ago. I just read it for the first time this weekend and thought it would be great to include it with Ephraim's biography.


A Tribute to My Great-Grandfather
Ephraim George Holding

To you, a Pioneer times two,
Who left a legacy to us -
Generations yet unknown -
We homage pay and thanks bestow.
Hundreds proudly bear your name.
You rose above your humble start
To claim great men among your friends.
Integrity, humility,
Were hallmarks of your business life
And strength to your large family.


You look so dapper perched astride
Your somewhat muddy motor car.
ONE CYLINDER CURVED DASH, it is -
The newest thing, an Oldsmobile.
I'd love to ride along with you
And celebrate nineteen-oh-four.
But there is room for only two,
Just you and auntie Sarah Jane,
The little girl whose head was crushed
Beneath a heavy wagon's wheel.


So, Grandpa, though we'll never meet,
At least not for a long, long while,
I still know much about your life
And how you learned the secrets of
The great electric power source.
Three generations yet ahead
We, too, are Pioneers who set
Our feet so firmly in the soil.
We'll carve our way to new frontiers
Like you, in 1888.
Janet Ridd
June 2007

1 comment:

  1. That is very nice. It made me think of all my relatives I've never met.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete